We believe that all young people have rights within the academy. Along with these come responsibilities that each student has to themselves, other students and the Academy.
All of our students have rights which are closely linked with the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child (UNCRC). These are not just to protect them but to also ensure that they have what they need to become successful.
- You have a right to a challenging, rewarding curriculum.
- You have a right to have your achievements praised.
- You have the right for your development to be assessed.
- You have a right to be treated with respect.
- You have the right to be recognised as a unique individual.
- You have the right to support and help when you need it.
- You have the right to enjoy your time at Westlands.
- You have the right to give an opinion before decisions are made.
- You have the right to be protected from physical or emotional harm.
The responsibilities of each student ensure that the Academy and students ensure that we can move forward together in a safe environment.
- You have a responsibility to behave respectfully to everyone in the Academy setting.
- You should treat others as you wish to be treated.
- You should treat Academy property with care.
- Your work in class should be correctly titled.
- Your work should be completed as requested and handed to the teacher for marking or assessment.
- You need to comply with the routines of the day – registration, being in your classes on time, handing in equipment not needed in class for safe keeping, etc.
- You should represent the Academy well, no matter where you are in the school day.
A copy of the Westlands Behaviour Guidelines can be found here.
These are inline with our overriding Trust Behaviour Policy.
We say No to Bullying, whether verbal or physical; it has no place in our academy. We ask for all parents and students to help us by reporting immediately any incidents so that we can deal firmly and fairly with any bullies, involving parents if appropriate.
Further information on the exclusion guidance that we adhere to in our Academy can be found by clicking here.